Reflection | Psalm 119:25-32 | 24 March 2021

 


A letter from Anthony...

My soul clings to the dust; give me life according to your word!  When I told of my ways, you answered me; teach me your statutes!  Make me understand the way of your precepts, and I will meditate on your wondrous works.  My soul melts away for sorrow; strengthen me according to your word! Put false ways far from me and graciously teach me your law!  I have chosen the way of faithfulness; I set your rules before me.  I cling to your testimonies, O Lord; let me not be put to shame!  I will run in the way of your commandments when you enlarge my heart!  Psalm 119:25-32 (ESV)

It has been a very wet week so far and it seems set to continue.  This rain is a blessing to many as we head into sowing season.  However, while this rain is well timed for our farmers, the heavy rain falls that have been pouring down on the east coast of NSW have caused major flooding in some areas, and one of these areas is Western Sydney.

And while this is devastating for those in these areas, as I was watching a news report on the flooding, I had to laugh because the reporter spoke about the areas that were affected by the flooding as being in “Western NSW”.  And the “Western NSW” she was referring to was the suburb of Windsor, which is really only Western Sydney, and it certainly isn’t Western NSW by any stretch of the imagination.

It reminded me of a phone call that we had with our telephone provider one day when we were setting up our phone while living in Forbes.  When we explained to the person from the phone company that we were in Forbes, she proceeded to ask where Forbes was.  We replied that it was in Western NSW, and then she asked if Forbes was somewhere near Paramatta or Penrith.

During our time in Sydney while we were at Bible college, we met lots of people who had never set foot on the other side of the sandstone divide; and so their perspective of NSW – and the world – was almost completely shaped by their experiences of Sydney life.

I think most of us tend to chuckle a bit when Sydneysiders speak about greater Sydney as though it is all there is to NSW.  But the reality is that we have all been shaped to some degree by our experiences.  We all have our likes and dislikes, our preferences, and our ways of doing things.   And even though most of us grew up in regional NSW, our likes and dislikes, our preferences, and our ways of doing things are not all the same.

In this Psalm, the Psalmist is experiencing a time of sorrow – maybe even depression.  The Psalmist says his “soul clings to dust” and it “melts away for sorrow.”  We’re not told what it was that caused this sorrow for the Psalmist, but what we can see from this Psalm is that in the midst of his sadness he is making the conscious choice to cling to the way of the Lord, rather than keep clinging to his despair.

In verse 27 he says, “make me understand the way of your precepts” and in verses 30 and 32 he says, “I have chosen the way of faithfulness” and “I will run in the way of your commandments.”

The sorrow that the Psalmist was facing as he wrote these words, may or may not have continued after he chose to seek the Lord’s way in his life.  But by taking his troubles to the Lord, rather than struggling on in his own strength, he was handing his problems over to the Only One who is able to grow us in our understanding and love for Him. 

May we, like the Psalmist, seek the Lord’s way rather than our own.  So that whether He delivers us from hardship, or goes with us through the valley of the shadow of death, He will be enlarging our hearts to trust Him with His plans for us in Jesus.

In Christ, Anthony







https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Australia_New_South_Wales_with_LGA_names.svg

Comments