Reflection | Jude 24-25 | 4 February 2021

 



A letter from Anthony...

“To him who is able to keep you from falling and to present you before his glorious presence without fault and with great joy— to the only God our Saviour be glory, majesty, power and authority, through Jesus Christ our Lord, before all ages, now and for evermore! Amen.” Jude 24-25

One of the most wonderful things about the good news of Jesus is that He is the One who guarantees that those who trust in Him will not fall. 

Around the middle of last year, a good friend and I were helping put a roof on a shed.   I have to admit that for a lot of the day this friend was on the roof doing most of the helping and I was simply passing up the sheets.  However, toward the end of the day I went up on the roof as well and began helping secure the roof, as were doing our best to finish most of the job that day. 

And with that goal in mind, we kept on working, even as the sun went down and the dew began to make the corrugated iron we were standing on very slippery.  But determined to finish the more difficult parts of the job that day, I climbed over the gable and onto a steep section of the roof where there was nothing to catch me – except the ground below – and slowly continued putting in screw after screw as I made my way along the roof.  By this time the dew had made the roof so slippery that I could no longer stay on it without sliding. 

And so to prevent myself from falling (and having a very different story to tell) I tied a rope around my waist while my friend, standing on the other side of the gable, was holding on to that rope to keep me from falling. 

It takes a lot of trust in someone to hang on the side of a slippery shed knowing that they are the only thing that is keeping you from falling.  I did my best to motivate this friend to keep holding tightly onto that rope, by making sure that he knew that he would be preaching that week if he let me fall.  I remember he laughed at the time, but I think he may not have realised I was serious. 

If our faith is in Christ, we do not need to fear that we might fall.  Sure, having a healthy fear of falling off the roof is a good idea.  But as those with faith in Christ, we do not need to fear that we might fall away from God’s mercy.  For Christ will keep those who trust in Him from falling, and present us before His full glory without spot or blemish and with great joy.

We might stumble, we might lose our way at times – and even doubt His ability to keep us in Him.  But the One who has called us to faith in His life, death and resurrection, will not let us fall. 

Therefore, to Him “be glory, majesty, power, and authority, through Jesus Christ our Lord, before all ages, now and for evermore! Amen.”

In Christ, Anthony







Comments