Reflection | John 3:16 | 8 December 2020

 


A letter from Anthony...

“For God so loved the world that He gave His One and Only Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life.” John 3:16 

Have you ever wanted something so badly that you felt like you desperately had to have it, only to find out – after you’ve made the purchase – that it wasn’t worth the trouble?

I know I certainly have.  When I think about things that I have bought over the years that were not worth the time or the money, one particular motorbike comes to mind.  From the moment I bought that motorbike, to the time when I finally decided it had to go, it caused me nothing but problems.  It looked good in the advertisement, it seemed like a good idea at the time, but in reality it turned out to be something that I went on to regret.   

There is always some degree of risk involved in every purchase that we make, and inevitably some of the decisions we make don’t live up to our expectations.

But what if you had known that before you made the purchase?  What if you had known how it would fall short of your expectations?

I don’t know about you, but I know I wouldn’t have purchased that motorbike knowing now the trouble it was going to cause.  But the thing is, I didn’t know until it was too late.

And that’s what makes the good news of Jesus and Christmas so amazing!

When God sent His One and Only Son into the world, He knew every sin we would ever commit.  He knew about our rebellion, and He knew that we would most certainly let Him down.  But God so loved us, His creations, that He sent His One and Only Son into the world anyway.  He paid the price for our sin; despite knowing that we would let Him down. 

He didn’t walk away, He didn’t leave us to face the punishment that we deserve.  But rather He showed us how much He loves us by sending His One and Only Son, so that through faith in Jesus Christ we will not perish but have eternal life.  Not because we deserve it, or because we have earned it in any way, but because of the great love that our Saviour has for us. 

As we head toward Christmas, may we be reminded that our Saviour loves us even though we will continue to let Him down.  He loves us so much that He willingly gave up His life for us, so that we might have life forever with Him.

In Christ, Anthony





Comments