Reflection | John 10:27-29 | 6 October 2020

A letter from Anthony...

“My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me.  I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no-one can snatch them out of my hand.  My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all; no-one can snatch them out of my Father’s hand.”  John 10:27-29

We live in a time in history when we are required to have security codes for everything.  We have pin numbers for our bank cards, passwords for our phones, laptops, and tablets.  And even once we’ve finally entered our password into these devices, we’re usually greeted with many more reasons to remember security codes as we log into our email, internet banking or social media accounts.  

And while half the time I struggle to remember all of these passwords, I know that they are designed to protect my information from those who would misuse it.  I imagine that many of us might cringe at the idea of having to remember yet another password for something, but we also like the feeling that our information is secure, at least as secure as we are able to make it.  

When something is important to us we want to know that it is safe and secure; we want to feel as though we can depend on it, and we want to be sure that no one can take it away.  

Security is something that we all crave, but that can only truly be found in Christ.  We are living in extremely uncertain times at present.  The full impact of Covid restrictions on our economy is still not yet fully known, and there is still no guarantee that the Covid virus is gone for good.  But in the midst of this uncertainty – and in fact in the midst of any uncertainty – those who listen to God’s word and follow Him are secure in their Father’s hand.  

The good Shepherd knows every one of His sheep, and every one of His sheep know Him.

There is security in knowing that our loving Saviour knows everything about us – the good, the bad and the ugly – and yet He still loves us.  And despite knowing our every failure, He still guarantees that no one can snatch those with faith in Him from His hands.  Our financial situations may go up and down, we might be healthy or things could be a daily struggle, but no matter what season of life we are in, and no matter how uncertain the circumstances of our lives may have us feeling, those with faith in Christ are secure.  No one can snatch us out of the hands of our loving heavenly Father.


In Christ, Anthony





Comments